The following recollection is from Mr. Robert Jumper who describes the Ellwood area during the 1930s.
Ellwood, on the outskirts of Kenmore, was stretched over a wide, flat area with a few houses dotting the bleak landscape. Englewood, the main road, was dirt up to around 1926. From our backyard on Englewood you could see the Lincoln woods - and see Kenmore Avenue from our front yard. The Zuege farm at 882 and 886 Englewood took up a good part of the land area all the way down to Worth. The little Ellwood schoolhouse (one room) stood directly across from the farm. The kids would buy milk from the farm at lunch time. Miss Fisher, the teacher, was not opposed to taking a yardstick to a child that needed it. Nor did she mind watching a fist fight outside of the school - never interfering. One unique thing the kids used to do was go into the small lavatory, climb out the window, and go home.
The Ellwood fire hall near Moulton was like our town hall. Everything took place there. Being as St. John's Catholic church was burnt out, and the protestant Presbyterian church was still being erected, everyone worshipped together in the fire hall. When the basement of the Presbyterian church was completed everybody moved over there and worshipped in the basement while the rest of the church was being finished.. We had an interchurch community that lasted long after St. John's church opened again. They went to our doings and we went to theirs.
From the Ellwood Presbyterian church at Englewood and Park Road down to Starin and Englewood was an old orchard. This is where we had our Sunday school picnics and it always rained. Across from the church at Worth and Englewood was a small factory where the Zemphly family made handles that you hung onto in street cars. Their home was next to the factory at 792 Englewood, all brick - still a nice home.
Speaking of street cars, the high speed line ran across Englewood down behind Marjorie Drive on its way to Niagara Falls. The kids used to tie a wire line between the two cable posts, knocking off the trolley pole as the car went under. The passengers would all scream as the lights went out and the car came to a stop. The poor conductor had to come out and put the trolley back on the power line.
At Starin and the east side of Englewood stood the abandoned Kachelmaker's home, a mammoth house with two living rooms and two stairways. This was known as the haunted house -- very forbidding as you walked by it in the dark. But in the daytime we kids played cops and robbers in it. The Kachelmaker's barn stood way over across the street in the open fields. We stod on the porch and watched it burn one night.
Two streets, Pickford and Heath, along Englewood, were named after two big landowners and real estate men who would probably have become rich if times had been better. Times were not good. In the mid-Thirties George Pickford jumped over Niagara Falls. Marjorie Drive ran from Heath for about a quarter mile behind Englewood with a sidewalk only on the east side. It was a warm day in the summer of 1932 and we kids decided to get a baseball game going. We used stones or whatever we could find. An old paper bag we found in the indentation along Marjorie was used for second base. Halfway through the game the bag broke open, exposing a dead baby. This happened approximately where 33 Marjorie Drive now stands.