Anyone who drives down Ganson Street in the First Ward district of Buffalo has seen the Great Northern Elevator. Its current owners, the Archer-Daniels-Midland Corporation have been trying unsuccessfully for the past several years to have it demolished. Buffalo's Preservationists are crying "foul!"
The Great Northern was built in 1897 wholly of stone, brick and steel. Since no wood was used in the construction, it was billed as one of the most indestructible elevators of its time. While practically dormant in this day and age, this photograph from around 1909 will clearly show that the Great Northern AND the Buffalo River were a hot spot for industrial action in the early part of the 20th century.