Father Justin's Rosary Hour
The Father Justin Rosary Hour, founded on Buffalo's Eastside, is currently the longest running Polish language program in radio history. The show had its beginnings in 1926 as part of a Polish Variety Program sponsored by the Kolipinski Brothers Furniture Company. Being religious people, the Kolipinski brothers wanted a spiritual dimension to be added to their weekly broadcast. Father Justin Figas, a Franciscans at Corpus Christi Church (Sears St.), was soon invited to deliver a five-minute spiritual message each week. The popularity of the religious message soon eclipsed that of the variety program and a year later, became its own hour long program. The Rosary Hour became a network program in 1931 when it was carried across six stations. By 1954, the number of stations increased to fifty, and had reached seventy-two at the time of Father Justin's death in 1959.